G Suite: Importing users from G Suite
Although there is an option to enable the automatic creation of accounts on first login to the Room Booking System, some schools prefer to import their users. Reasons for this include being able to make bookings on behalf of a user before they log in, or having a little more control over who can and can't login.
Getting a list of users from G Suite
G Suite allows you to download a full (or filtered) list of users, which can then be modified and imported to the Room Booking System, as follows:
- Log into G Suite as an administrator.
- Go to the Users menu.
- (Optional) If you wish to output a custom list of users, select the users you wish to output in the export by clicking their icon.
- Click the options button at the top right then select Download Users.
- Select one of the options, depending on what you want to output to the downloaded list.
The list of users will then be downloaded.
Preparing the exported list of users for import
You should now have a file that looks similar to the following:
While this contains most of the information needed, it's not quite in the right format and you need to take the following steps:
- Delete columns D to G - these are not required for import.
- Copy column A and "Insert" it to make a new column - both consisting of email addresses. Rename the newly pasted column so that the heading is "Username":
- Send us the file by email to email@example.com and let us know you wish to import the users for use on your G Suite login.
Note: If users in the export already exist on the Room Booking System, they will not be updated. You may have noted that there is a User Import section on the admin home page, we do not recommend using it in this circumstance as it will send out a password reset email to all users imported. However, we can import the users without that email being sent.